Monday, July 17, 2017

Music for my soul

(Originally written October 2013)

I have always been passionate about music. Music has always given me a sense of purpose and being.  I love how I feel when I hear a song that lifts me up or a song that let's me tap into the emotion that I need to feel.  With that being said I recently purchased The Civil Wars new album because in July I was listening it my new favorite station, NPR, and in the music segment they were featuring this couple. The song they played was "Dust to Dust" I loved the tone and quality to the song so I tagged it right away so I could buy it. Well, two months went by and I forgot all about it until this past week when I saw the album in stores. I bought it and immediately listened to "Dust to Dust" and then tears began to fill my eyes when they sang the second verse of the song:


You've held your head up
You've fought the fight
You bear the scars
You've done your time
Listen to me 
You've been lonely, too long



Let me in the walls
You've built around
We can light a match
And burn them down
Let me hold your hand
And dance 'round and 'round the flames
In front of us
Dust to dust"

These lyrics spoke to me. I have fought the fight and I bear the scars and I have built walls around me I need to allow people in. I will continue to be careful who I let in though and who  I allow to see my whole being, but I can't be shy. If I want to accomplish the goals I have set in my life then it is time to burn my walls down. 

Music is such a powerful medicine. It allows me to see through different eyes. It allows me to see into my own soul and figure out what I need to do.

Until next time

Crystal




No comments :

Post a Comment